What is Student Tracking System and how does it work?
September 19, 2022 | by wikiedu.co
Tracking the performance of students is important for teachers and schools. Many schools are using a student tracking system (STS) to track the students’ attendance, grades, and other school-related information. There are different types of STS available in the market. In this article, we will discuss STS in detail.
A STS is a computer software program that helps schools track student data. This includes things like attendance, grades, and test scores. STS can be hardware or software-based. Hardware-based systems use physical markers or badges and Software-based systems use data entry forms or online portals to track students.
There are different types of STS available in the market today. Below are the three types:
1. Time-Based Tracking System
Time-based tracking systems track the time that a student is present in school. This system works best for students who are absent intermittently. Time-based tracking systems can also be used for special-needs students who need extra attention in class.
2. Achievement-Based Tracking System
Achievement-based tracking systems track the academic progress of a student. This system works best for students who have consistent attendance and good grades. Achievement-based tracking systems can also be used for students with special needs who have good academic performance but need help in specific areas of learning.
3. Randomized Assignment Tracking System (RATS)
A randomized assignment tracking system (RATS) is a hybrid system that combines features of the time- and achievement-based tracking systems. RATS assigns a student to one of two or more groups at random. The system then tracks the academic performance of each group of students.
What is Student Tracking System?
STSs are computerized recordkeeping and communication tools used by educational institutions to track students’ academic progress. It can be grouped into two broad categories: academic and attendance. Academic systems monitor progress in terms of coursework, grades, and other academics-related information. Attendance systems monitor presence of students in class and whether they are attending required meetings or sessions.
Using an STS includes improved communication between faculty and staff, easier identification of struggling students, and better monitoring of student progress. There are several different systems, but the grade point average (GPA) system is the most common.
Some benefits of using this system include:
Improved communication between faculty and staff.
Easier identification of struggling students.
Better monitoring of student progress.
How Student Tracking System Works?
The STS is a computerized application used in schools to monitor of student progress and attendance. It is also commonly known as a “classroom management system”.This can track movements of the students in and out of the classroom, their marks, and other performance data.
The system can also monitor student’s progress through the school year and automatically send parents or guardians alerts when their child is absent or has fallen behind in their studies.
How Can I Find Out If My Child Is Using An STS?
If your child attends a school that uses an STS, you can usually find out if the system is in use by looking for signs in the classroom. Some common signs that the system is in use include:
A computer with student tracking software installed
A sign next to the computer says “Classroom Management System”.
Instructions from school officials about how to use the system
In some cases, you may be able to ask your child’s teacher for more information about the system.
Benefits of Student Tracking System
An STS is a software application that helps educators identify, track and report student progress in learning. An STS can also alert educators when a student needs assistance or intervention.
Benefits of STS:
1. Helps educators identify students who are struggling and need extra attention.
2. Allows educators to monitor the progress of all students, not just those who are struggling.
3. Provides educators with reports that show how each student is doing relative to the rest of the class.
4. Alerts educators if a student is not meeting expected levels of progress.
5. Can be used in both traditional and online schools.
6. Increases efficiency for educators by making it easier to track individualized instruction for each student.
7. It Can be used in both traditional and online schools.
8. Increases parent involvement by providing accurate information about their child’s progress.
Downsides of Student Tracking System
There are many benefits to using an STS in the classroom but also some drawbacks. Here are four of the most common:
1. It can be expensive. A good system can cost several thousand dollars.
2. It can be intrusive. It can track every movement and interaction a student has in the classroom. This can be very intrusive and distracting for students.
3. It can be inaccurate. It is not always accurate, leading to incorrect academic progress reporting or even cheating.
4. It can create a sense of anxiety or insecurity among students. If a student feels like his or her academic progress is being monitored constantly, this could lead to feelings of anxiety or insecurity.